Kaju curry, also known as cashew nut curry, is a popular dish in Indian cuisine that is made with cashew nuts as the main ingredient. The cashews are typically cooked in a flavorful tomato-based sauce that may include spices such as turmeric, cumin, and garam masala, as well as other ingredients such as onions, garlic, ginger, and coconut milk. The dish can be served with rice or bread and can be made mild or spicy to suit individual taste. It is a rich creamy and delicious dish which is enjoyed by many people.
Here’s a basic recipe for making kaju curry at home:
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste
- 2 tomatoes, pureed
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder (or to taste)
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped (for garnish)
- Soak the cashews in water for at least 30 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat. Add cumin seeds and let them crackle.
- Add chopped onions and fry until they turn golden brown.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and fry for another minute.
- Add the pureed tomatoes, cumin powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, red chili powder, and salt. Mix well and cook until the oil starts to separate from the masala.
- Add the soaked and drained cashews to the pan and stir well to coat the cashews with the masala.
- Add 1 cup of water to the pan and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and let the curry simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the cashews are cooked through and tender.
- Stir in the coconut milk and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve hot with rice or bread.
Note: You can adjust the amount of spices as per your taste. You can also add some vegetables like bell peppers, peas, cauliflower or potatoes to make it more healthy and nutritious.